Here at Soko we’re getting ready for a weekend full of fun, sun…and the FIFA World Cup Final Match! In honor of what is sure to be a thrilling game (catch it this Sunday at 3pm EST), we’ve dedicated our weekly Soko Six to anything and everything fútbol related:
1. The Standard Biergarten: There are several reasons to root for the Red, Black, and Yellow this Sunday - their excellent style of play, the adorable Toni Kroos, and beer gardens. We recently checked out this open-air one owned by The Standard Hotel on the High Line, and we give it a big thumbs up. Help yourself to some real German beer and soft pretzels, and place bets with your friends on how many goals the Deutsch boys score this time. — Location: 848 Washington St NY, NY 10014
2. Buenos Aires: If you can’t go to Argentina to support La Pulga, this popular restaurant named for the nation’s capital is the next best thing. Exposed brick, wide oak tables, and cowhide benches make this East Village spot cozy and authentic – and they’re hosting a Game Day viewing party! We suggest you order red wine and the special grilled skirt steak, with a side of victory (and fries). — Location: 509 E 6th St NY, NY 10009
3. Founded for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa, Street Child World Cup is a worldwide organization dedicated to aiding children that are forced to live on the streets. They protect the rights and opportunities of these children, and unite them in a football tournament - corresponding with the World Cup - that now includes nineteen different nations. Visit their website to learn how you can help.
4. These are our suggestions for dressing up for Sunday’s game if all the jerseys are sold out (thanks, Sports Authority), and you’re not really into the whole face-painting thing. Find cute dresses and tops in your team’s colors, and pair them with your favorite Soko accessories. This way even if your team loses, you still look good!
5. The Wide Stacked Bracelet: This polished brass cuff is the perfect accessory for the weekend – no matter what colors you plan on sporting. Blending elements of toughness and elegance, it can be worn with a floral maxi on Saturday and your jersey on Sunday.
6. Coca-Cola released a special-edition line of 18 mini bottles decorated with the flags of various FIFA World Cup nations – and they are unbelievably adorable! Our favorite designs are Argentina, Mexico, Brazil, and the US (of course). Disclaimer: the bottles don’t come with any soda – but they do include an interactive app!